Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Little Hero.

Today I took my two kids to a Nursery here in town to look at some trees. Malia was wandering around a little, and Riley in typical fashion was very concerned about where she was and whether she was following us or not. He was so stressed about it that I almost got annoyed and even said "It's okay Riley. She can walk around...she's safe here."

As I was checking out a few minutes later, and chatting with the lady about how much I love a certain plant, I heard Riley say "Mommy! Look at Malia!" Halfway aware of what he said, and still signing my receipt, I glanced around and my eyes fell upon a sight I will never forget and hope to never see again. Malia was floating face down in a little pond that was set up in the nursery. I can't even explain how horrifying this was. The pond was about 30 feet from where I stood, and I bolted over knowing every second counts. And as I was running towards her I was shocked to see that she wasn't flailing about like you would expect, but just moving her arms and legs a little, like she didn't know what to do. She was right in the middle of the pond, which was only a few feet across, but I knew that a few more seconds and she could be gone. I jumped into the pond and yanked her out not knowing how she would be or quite how long she had been that way. She just gasped a few times and had this shocked look on her face, but within a few seconds she was perfectly fine other than being covered in disgusting moss.

I am so grateful that everything turned out okay, but literally sick to think of what could have been. I am so thankful to Riley. He later told me he heard a splash and looked over wondering if it might be Malia. He saw that it was and told me. I didn't hear a splash. I was busy chatting. Riley, I love you so much and as I told you today, you saved your sister. As a parent, it is painful to even think of something bad happening to your kids. Today that almost happened. Maybe I am being over dramatic, but it's not everyday (thank goodness!) that you see your child nearly drown. It can happen so easily. I'm so thankful to Heavenly Father for Riley and how aware this little boy is of his surroundings.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

That is so scary! He is definatly a hero! I am so glad she is okay & that he told you right when it happened. Give him & big hug and kiss from us & tell him we are so proud of him!

The Wilson's said...

Wow!!! So Scary!!!! I'm glad everything is okay. What a good brother Malia has!!!

Tanya said...

Wow, that's exactly what an article I read two nights ago said- they WON'T flail, they'll be pretty still. how very scary. Thank goodness for big brothers. I'm glad she's ok!!!

Mom said...

This will be a wonderful story to tell for years to come, and perhaps someday Riley will bring a dreamy-looking best friend home, and Malia (The Divine Miss M) will use the story as proof that Riley saved her life just so she could meet his best friend. I mean, what teenage girl COULDN'T use a story like that?

Heidi said...

Sorry, Darc. That is scary. Glad everything is okay. Good job, Riley.

Tosha G said...

Oh my, I want to cry for you just reading that. You had to have been so scared. Thank goodness for older brothers. Glad everything was ok.

katyosborne said...

I was sick to my stomach when I read this. I am going to quit telling Ashton to quit being so worried about his brothers. Good job Rylie.

Remember to Breathe said...

Oh,no! How scary! Rio is so protective of Dallas, too, and I agree--it can be overbearing at times... but I will be grateful for it now after your story! You will have to tell Malia about her superhero brother when she gets older. After all, Riley IS Batman, right? :)