Monday, September 6, 2010

Kindergarten, Soccer, 10K, Labor Day

Riley started Kindergarten this year!!! I am so excited for him. I loved getting him all registered, going to the office, walking around the halls and seeing the lunchroom and gym. All those things take me right back to when I was in elementery and I can't believe HE is about to start this new phase of his life. The first day he was so excited and didn't have ANY problem with me leaving, which was a great relief to me. I love this! He gets out of the house and learns and has a good time, and I can run errands or whatever with just Malia who thankfully isn't old enough to say "I want that!" about everything she sees in the store.

Riley and his pal Hayden


They got star treatment coming into the building with red carpet and all.

Two pairs of chubby, happy cheeks. This was just before I left the classroom and set him free in his new adventure of KINDERGARTEN!!!!!!

This is also his first year of soccer, so it's a big year for my little guy. He loves soccer, and he thinks the shingaurds are so cool. He's been a little discouraged because it's hard for him to get in there and get the ball and score a goal. I mean, lets face it there are 14 or so kids all huddled together trying to kick one little ball...that's a lot of little legs and bodies and who in their right mind would purposely jump in the middle of that! I've been telling Riley it's no big deal if he doesn't get a goal, just to keep trying and have fun. But the other day he scored his first goal, and he was so proud of himself. We were so proud of him too, and because we love him so much we will wait until he's much older to tell him that unfortunately the game was already over when he scored that goal :) But he finally found his moment to get the ball all to himself and take it all the way down the field and score an awesome goal, afterwhich he turned around and gleefully clapped for himself! Nevermind that he had no competition because the other kids were starting to find their way off the field and to their parents. Way to go Riley!!!!!

Riley and Hayden
For some crazy reason, I told my friend that I would run the Labor Day 10K with her. I told her this at 3 am when we were both at work, and any one who works nights knows that you sometimes say things you regret or don't mean. I went ahead and registered and had two weeks to get ready, during which time I ran probably 3 times and never a full 6 miles. So I was nervous when it came time for the race. But I have to say, it was a blast (except for miles 3,4,5,and6 and getting up at 6am) but the finish line was AWESOME and I did it in just under an hour! I also love how people hand you water cups along the way, and then it's okay for you to just toss the cup to the side of the road. I felt kind of bad about that, but it also made me feel cool like "I am a professional, serious runner and I have no time to throw this cup away properly." Ha! Ben and the kids were there waiting for me, and so was my Dad, Laurie, and my brothers Ben and Sam and sister Kelsey. I think this may be the start of something great!
It was a great Labor Day weekend! My family came and stayed over Sun night. After the 10K the next morning I hung out with family, saw the parade, went out to lunch, took a long nap, and then watched Avatar at Sam and Stacia's house. They just finished their basement and it is SO cool and makes me want to get started on ours. They have a projector and movie screen, and their is nothing like watching a movie like that sprawled out on a comfy couch with surround sound and a blanket! Waaaaay better than the theater :)
Riley trying not to smile :)
Dad, Sam, Riley, Ben, Malia (mooching) Laurie, Kelsey, and Little Ben.
How cool are these guys! I love how Riley's ears are being smooshed. Glad they were wearing their safety goggles to play with Sam's little flying helicopter.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Darci!!! Yep, miss you guys! Love how trendy you are to run. :) I really like that you just decided to run on a whim! Good for you! :D and hoooooray for Kindergarten!

The Wilson's said...

So fun!!! And way to work the 10K...you are awesome!!! I should get off my butt and do something...but i think i will just continue to sit and enjoy my junk food:)

Spencer and Justine Cook said...

Hey, its Justine. So I wanted to say Good for you! For running the 10K. That is awesome! It is amazing to thing that it can be enjoyable to run. We should run the Skyline 10K next year together. It's a killer but great to finish.