Monday, March 28, 2011

Hawaii Part 2

A beautiful Hawaii sunset! I think this was the only really good one while we were there.
This was on a really nice bus on the way to the Polynesian Cultural Center. The day before we had taken the public bus from the ariport to downtown Honolulu, and that bus experience was challenging. It's amazing how many people they cram on those public buses. Ben and I had to stand at one point and my back pack whacked this lady in her face. She was none to happy.
That island is called China Man's Hat. It was in Karate Kid I guess.
When Riley saw this picture he asked what animal was in the tree. Nope that's a Samoan guy! This was at the Samoan village at the Polynesia Cultural Center (PCC).
New Zealand (I think) dancers.
Tahitian dancers.
Our Luau food at the PCC. Yes that roll is purple! It's made from taro (sp?) root which turns purple when it cooks. It was a great roll! At the top of the plate, under the green stuff, is poke or raw fish chunks (gag). I dished up a bunch because I thought it was some sort of stewed tomatoes.
Ben and I with our beautiful lei's. The PCC was seriously the COOLEST place every. I had polynesian envy, and told Ben I want to be polynesian and open coconuts with my bare hands and dance awesome hula dances. That's just how cool this place is.
At the top of Diamond Head Crater. It's about 1.5 miles up, 1.5 miles down (duh) and Ben and I walked about 2 miles to get there PLUS 2 miles to get back. We walked a LOT that day.
This was an almost pitch black tunnel. The flash blinded the lady behind me. She was just trying to pass me and wasn't expecting the flash. She sort of stumbled by and told us the flash had blinded her.
A great, big tunnel on the way to Diamond Head. Not much pedestrian room because I suppose most people take the bus or car up to the bottom of Diamond Head. But not Ben and I!
There are some mighty strange trees in Hawaii.
This area was so cool at night. There were tiki torches everywhere. I want my backyard to look like this!
Pearl Harbor. Names of those who died.
Oil continues to seep out of the hull of the Arizona, some 70 years after it sunk.
The Arizona. I think there are 900 servicemen entombed in this ship.
A royal palace. There is a statue of a former King. I think his name was King Kamehameha but there's about a 80% chance I'm wrong. But more importantly, shortly after this picture was taken Ben and I discovered a hot dog stand (hidden behind the statue) that had the yummiest $4.00 hot dog we've ever had.
At the end of the path is a metal thing with a flame in it. The driver/tour guide explained that the flame burns 24/7 and never stops and has been burning for years. Right then the flame stopped! Then a few seconds later it started again. It was so funny!
Waikiki beach. That's me on the tube trying to stay on. When we bought the tubes we didn't realize how small they were. It was extremely difficult for me to fit my rear into the opening.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

hahahaha, wow. you crack me up, the whole post! :) Sure glad you went on this trip, I seriously laughed out loud this whole second post.

Anonymous said...

Darc,
I love all your pictures... you're so freakin pretty! You look so tan and your smile is always gorgeous... love and miss ya a whole bunch

Laura said...

I am way beyond jealous...but I will try to get over it! Looks like you had a great time! Congrats on ten years!