Friday, December 12, 2008

CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR

In the past, I have spent the month of December looking forward to (and stressing about) Christmas day. But this year, it feels different for me. Instead of focusing so much on what will take place on that one day, I am really just enjoying the season. It has been my goal this year to simplify Christmas in order to be able to relax and enjoy it. So it has been so nice this year. I think everyone realizes that most people are trying to scale it back this year with the money spending, and so the gift expectations for extended family has been very reduced. For example with the Cook family, instead of Ben, Riley and I each giving to someone, we just give something to one of the families and the price limit is $20. Similar cut backs are happening with the extended Hansen family, and I LOVE it! Not just because we are spending so much less...but it has made things so much more simple and I feel like it's taken the focus off who's getting what, and making sure we spend enough, etc. It's like a burden has been lifted, enabling us to enjoy the spirit of the season more. I hope this new "tradition" of keeping it simple can continue year after year so that we all can relax and enjoy just being together more.
After Thanksgiving, Ben and Riley were able to go with some family up to the Cook cabin to help get some Christmas trees. Riley LOVES going up on the mountain, and Ben even found a little tree for Riley which we decorated and put in his room. We didn't get a big tree for us because we have a fake tree which I love and won't part with even though Ben calls me a meanie every year and sais I'm infringing on his childhood memories of getting a live tree every year. Oh well, it's a small price for him to pay since he gets me for a wife!

And true to the words of my poem in the previous post...we have a little nose picker on our hands. The Ultrasonographer got a kick out of it, and snapped a picture for us. We are so proud of our little girl for this talent she is developing. She already takes after her big brother, who is an excellent nose picker :)


2 comments:

Janille said...

I hope you had a good SIMPLIFIED Christmas! We did the same idea! I hope things are going well for you guys!

Janille

The Wilson's said...

So cute!!! I love your little girl picking her nose:) that is awesome!!!