Monday, July 15, 2013

Gracie

Well, Gracie finally arrived!  Actually she was 5 days early thanks to modern
medicine...I was induced on July 15.  Ben and I arrived at the hospital at 6am
and checked in through the emergency room and went on up to L & D.  It was 
very surreal, just knowing this is the day we'd been waiting for.  I remember being
in the bathroom, putting the gown on the nurse had given me, and thinking "Wow 
this is really happening!"  I wanted to really enjoy and remember ever moment 
because I have been sad that I have forgotten so much of Riley and Malia's births.
So the nurse couldn't get the IV after two tries, so we had to wait for a different 
nurse to be able to come try.  I was really happy for the delay....I didn't want it
to all happen too fast.  The Pitocin got started around 7:30, and contractions 
gradually got a little more painful.  But then Dr. Skinner came in and broke my 
water and almost right away the contractions became intense...just the same type
of pain as with the last two babies.  So by the time I got my epidural, I was having
some pretty decent pain but I am actually glad I got to experience that part of labor
for a little while...it's all part of the experience.  Then things settled down, Ben was 
brought a breakfast tray (and later a lunch tray) so he was well taken care of.  I of
course couldn't eat and was told I could only have ice chips, but.....I stole some
sips of Diet Coke :)  My mom showed up, and for about 4 hours we all just chilled
and I was sooooooo relaxed and comfortable, THANK YOU epidural.  I don't 
remember feeling this euphoric with the last epidurals.  About 1:30 pm Dr. Warner
came in and they got all set up for the delivery.  Two contractions and Gracie was 
out!!!  She cried a little right away, and then was quiet and very alert for a while.
Ben cut the cord, and Gracie was handed to me for a couple minutes which was
cool since with the other two I didn't get to hold them right away.  She was then
taken to the warmer and cleaned up, measured, etc.  My Mom did a great job at
videoing the delivery and I am so glad we have that memory on video!  Very special!

Here she is...minutes old!  

I love this picture.  Ben was pretty teary-eyed.  I was so much
more emotional this time around....I'm not sure why.  It was
happy emotional!  It was such a perfect day and delivery. 
This was before delivery.  I was so happy to have my mom there!
Three kids....here we go!!!!  Aaaaaaahhhh!



No comments: