Wednesday, January 9, 2008


So the other night, in the middle of the night, Ben hears the door to our bedroom creaking open. Of course this is creepy so he looks towards the door and can't see anything or anybody. He took a closer look and saw that Riley had dragged his pillow, blankets, stuffed animals, book, cars, etc (you know, all the important stuff that a two year old has to be surrounded with to sleep!) It became clear that Riley was planning to park it for the rest of the night right in our doorway, which he did! He can't come sleep in our bed anymore (we did THAT for a few weeks and quickly realized we were in for misery if we let him get too used to it) but I guess he just wanted to get as close as possible. Pretty sweet, huh :)

Well, here's a story that's not so sweet. I was talking on the phone to a friend this morning, feeling very pleased that Riley was quietly playing in the other room and letting me talk! Then it hit me. That feeling every parent gets when they realize that thier children are being a little TOO quiet. I immediately went to see what disaster I was going to have to clean up and found his highness happily playing in a pile of KIX. He got his picture taken and then went to time-out.

6 comments:

Becca said...

Kix are for Kids!!! (Or something like that...) At least it wasn't something too messy and safe for the vacuum.

Cute little Riley sleeping almost in his parent's room. I wonder if he had a bad dream. And I am amazed that he no longer sleeps in your bed only after a few weeks. Hopefully it wasn't too much of a struggle. We are trying to start early with Maks, but he doesn't seem to understand.

As for the crib mattress - that is definitely a Darci idea!!!

ciara said...

I love it! I love it!! I love it!!!!! I need some kids right now. That is so funny that Riley dumped the kix on the floor. He was only trying to feed Copper.....He is appling a principal that you taught him..SHARING with his puppy!!!!! And I like the one of him sleeping outside your room. I think he gets that from Ben. Ben did that every night....what a mommas boy!!

Heidi said...

Those are great pictures. Am I surprised that your son is a funny, rambunctious kid? Not at all - like mother, like son.

Mom said...

Looks to me like he's engineering those Kix into something creative, which will point out what his passion is, which you will be able to parlay into appropriate classes to encourage his brilliant mind, which will become fodder for the future when you convince his teachers he belongs in the gifted classroom, where he can then be dangled in front of all the other kids in order to make them feel inferior. One day he'll thank you for correctly discerning his superior feats of skill and he'll complement you, as his mother, on being so intuitive as to understand that his natural abilities were screaming out to be acknowledged. Either that, or he'll admit he was simply looking for the best Kix to eat.

Laura said...

I love that! Remind me to show you the picture of Ben's son Gabe, who did exactly the same thing with a box Trix! We do need to hang out again soon. We'll come up with some brillant plan and let you know!!

Ivan Makarov said...

Funny story! Kids..