Tuesday, April 8, 2008

TO SPANK OR NOT TO SPANK?

When I worked at Walmart, I saw a few too many kids being smacked or spanked HARD by their parents (Walmart can be stressful!) that I decided I would never spank my child, no matter what. Wellllllll....there have been a few times lately when Riley has really tested my patience and made me reconsider. The other day I was at an ourdoor shopping place, and Riley took off and was lost to the world for several minutes. I would finally find him, and he'd take off running (and LAUGHING) and literally he was on one side of a building and I was on the other and we ran around in circles. People were staring. Now, if I were a spanker, this would have been an EXCELLENT time to spank. Today Riley locked me out of the downstairs bathroom while he played around in the toilet with marshmallows. By the time I got in, he had his hands immersed in marshmallow soup in the potty. Then as I lifted him up he shook his hands and got nice toilet water all over the place. Before I knew it, my hand landed with a spank on his diaper padded bottom. This did not hurt him at all (in the chaos I don't even think he realized he had been spanked!) but I realized I need to decide...to spank or not to spank? Are there times when spanking is good? But do I really want to deal with the guilt??? Any advice out there, since Riley is testing his limits and seems to be having FUN at it? The time out chair works for most things, but half the time he thinks it's a game to sit in the cute little chair until the buzzer dings.

4 comments:

STEPHANIE said...

That's a hard one that I'm battleing right now as well. I was never going to "spank" either. However when they push your patience to that breaking point it is so hard. I must admit that Maddy has gotten a swat before. He has just recently started to really push my buttons(he's almost 28 months) and so we have started doing time out this past week. So far it is working pretty good. Good luck!

ciara said...

You are so funny. And Im sorry that I laugh!! -Cause I know my day is coming and I will be sorry!! Its just so funny! Im really entertained when you are trying to teach Riley. However, chasing him around the riverwoods would NOT have been fun!! That would've tested my patience too!!

Becca said...

okay, so I have no experience with disciplining children. However, I really love the soggy marshmallows. I can just see RIley and his mischievous little grin. I LOVE IT!

Have you ever considered getting one of those child leash when you go out again?

On a serious note, my favorite professor gave me some advice for this area. She told me to read a book called "Punished by Rewards" by Alfie Kohn. He also has "Unconditional Parenting" for older children. His website is www.alfiekohn.org. As if you don't have enough to read...

Anonymous said...

I am so right there! Maybe Riley & Maleea should get together! She has pushed one to many buttons this week! I am with you and don't know how to best handle her. I leave punishing to Mike. If you want to see something really bad, look on my blog under Meggan & Jeff. Look what their 2 year old just did! You will be grateful for marshmallows.