Thursday, April 23, 2009

ISN'T SHE LOVELY!

Malia Jeanne Cook, born April 23, 2009 at 10:55 am, 7 lbs 12 oz and 19 1/2 inches!!!
Here's Ben and I a few hours before she made her appearance. We had to be at the hospital at 5 am so I could be induced. I probably slept two hours the night before, but it didn't matter! Ben got a good night sleep though. He said the night before "I need to get to bed...I have a big day ahead of me!" Poor Ben had SO much work to do to get this baby here :) Pitocin really works by the way, and so does having the doc break your water. Contractions came on strong and pretty quickly, and the anesthesiologist did not come quickly. But he did come, and I did love him :) Shortly after my epidural, I was ready to push! The nurse said I would have delivered yesterday with or without the induction. Malia was out in three contractions! I kept thinking, this is just to easy. But the poor little thing didn't give us that good lusty cry you want to get from every baby right after they are born. In fact she was very quiet, which worried everyone and they whisked her away a few minutes after she was born. She spent the first ten hours of her life under this oxygen bubble......

.......and we didn't get to hold her until 9 p.m.! That whole time she wasn't able to keep her oxygen saturation up high enough, probably because she never gave us a good cry to get her lungs really going. The doc wondered about other problems, and she had an xray, EKG, had her blood gases checked, and ordered an IV started. Well, all the tests came back okay (thank goodness!) and the nurses tried and tried but weren't able to start an IV. Poor thing got poked MANY times yesterday, but still barely cried. I'm glad they didn't get the IV started because Malia ended up making a great turn around and we were thrilled that she was able to come spend a little time in our room with us.


As you can imagine, by 9 pm she was starving and I was excited to be able to feed her! She is a vigorous eater...a little too vigorous for my preferences in fact :) But that's okay, I am so happy she has no problems eating well. The doc told us she would probably have to stay in the hospital until Saturday instead of going home with us Friday, but she did so well throughout the night that she came home with us today at 4pm! We are so happy that she is doing well, and we know that people had her in their prayers and are thankful to have her home!
I'm so in love!
Ben is so in love too! We hope Riley will be in love too, but he wasn't able to meet her yesterday because the nurse wouldn't let him in to see her :(


We still haven't gotten a real good, ticked off cry out of her. She give a little "waaaa" here and there but I can tell she's working up to it and soon we will wonder why we ever wished she would cry more!

































22 comments:

STEPHANIE said...

She is beautiful! You look amazing too! That is such a cute picture of you and Ben... all the pictures are cute!

ciara said...

She is very adorable! And soft :) Thanks for letting me hold her! I'll have to take her off your hands one of these days! Anytime you want to come up and drop her off, your more than welcome!!

Tanya said...

awwwwww!!!!
She IS really cute!!!!! (duh, what else would she be?!) and I have to say, you look awfully pretty for someone about to have a baby!

CONGRATS!!!!!! Let me know if you need anything!

Shumway Adventures said...

YEAH!!! I have been stalking your blog waiting for word, CONGRATULATIONS! She is GEORGEOUS!
I miss you here at the good ole CVMC!

Bonnie said...

She is absolutely precious. I'm almost jealous!! I'm so glad everything is ok and that you and your little family get to be home together. I bet Riley will be the best big brother! Congrats!

Tori said...

Congratulations!!! She is darling. I am glad she is here and all is well. I cannot wait to see her. You have such a cute little family.

Melissa said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful! I love little baby girls! I'm glad that she is okay and that your labor was good. We're excited to come and meet her & I have Riley's toys (airplane, movie, dinosaur, & stuffed animal) I'm sure those will be like new toys to him. :) Congrats!

Heidi said...

Congratulations! She is great and already looks like you.

Love you guys!

Kelly said...

What a beautiful little girl! I am so glad you got to take her home with you. Congratulations to you :) !

Aunt Kelly

Stacy and Justin said...

She is adorable! Good work!

Anonymous said...

so cute!! I love the name. I am sorry she gave you a scare but I am thankful that everything is well. if you need anything call or text. I will take Riley for awhile if you need me to. Also how about dinner?

DebLawson said...

awwwwww, congrats!!

She is such a little sweetie!!!

Love her name!! She is a doll.


Have fun with your newborn! :)

Becca said...

Wow. You and Ben sure know how to breed 'em. Lots of hair like Riley. I am so happy that she finally made her debut. I can't wait to hold her in JULY!!! Get lots of rest my dear! You deserve it!

cpcox99 said...

Hooray! I'm glad Malia's doing well now and you're home. We're very happy for you!

The Jacobson Family said...

She is so cute!! I love the name, Congratulations. Let me know if you need anything.

Michelle said...

She is SO beautiful! I am glad she is doing well. How stressful, though! Can't wait to see her! Congratulations!

R~M~T said...

CONGRATS!! SHE IS SO CUTE!!

The Wilson's said...

Congrats. I am glad everything is good with the baby. Let me know if you need anything...like taking Riley so you can get a nap:)

The Luke Family said...

I am so glad that the delivery went well especially since you were worried about the induction!
It looks like things went fast though.
She is so sweet! I am hoping for a little girly.

Remember to Breathe said...

Darci. I just want to tell you how happy I am for you. That pic of you holding her and giving her a kiss gave me chills. I'm sure she knows how long you guys have waited for her! Congratulations!!! What a doll!

Leslee said...

Oh she is so cute! Congrats!

Mom said...

And of course it is most significant that she came on my birthday. Love, Mom